Friday, March 5, 2010

Observing The Overlooked Part 2 Harriet The Spy

My very favorite time to visit the corner on the main floor of the commons building, under the study and above the actual commons, is on a Saturday or Sunday between 1pm and 2pm. Breakfast at commons ends at 2pm, so usually a herd a hung over, or still drunk, kids come bustling through the door hoping to make it in time. Most are dressed in sweats or pajamas, some in clothes that look like they hadn’t changed from the night before. Their hair is usually either matted to their head or sticking up all over the place. The funniest part though is that no one seems to care because everyone is scrambling to get some tots and a waffle. They even have a new facebook group, called “No Judging at Commons in the Morning” or something like that, because you don’t have to be observing from an overlooked spot to see whats going on. Strangely, Starbucks is closed on Saturdays and Sundays, though if it wasn’t I’m sure they’d be busy curing alcohol induced headaches with chi tea and fueling student’s for a long day of homework and studying with something ending in mocha or “ccino”. Weekday morning, on the other hand, are usually dead. Hardly anyone walks through the doors and when they do they usually just head to Starbucks, most likely because not many prefer to eat breakfast alone at Commons. In the morning, the Starbuck’s baristas are usually running around setting things up or making things, they are all seemingly morning people. One guy I only see work in the mornings, he is always happy and ready to offer up a “Good Morning! How can I help you?”. They afternoon and evening baristas are usually a little less chipper and usually sitting at one of the vacant tables, on computers or scribbling in notebooks. In the morning, they usually play more upbeat music, kind of a weird almost techno but more sophisticated and in the afternoons it’s more of a smooth jazz. On the weekend mornings when Starbucks isn’t open I could only smell the Common’s breakfast permeating the entire building, but on the weekdays the Starbuck’s smells overpower the smell of whatever’s cooking at Commons. I’m usually at this spot everyday at least once, usually because I’m waiting on one of my slow friends to join me at Commons or for coffee. In the past week or two since we got this assignment, only one time have I seen another person sitting in my overlooked spot. Sure enough, they too got up as soon as someone they seemed to recognize walked in and they proceeded down the stairs to eat. What I’ve found is that this spot is overlooked, crowds of people walk past at certain times and usually no one even glances over to this corner. I think the best time to go to Commons or Starbucks if you’re looking for some solitude is the morning. If you seek socializing, then go in the evening, around 7. And if you want to go at a time when no one will be judging what you look like, or if you’re looking for a little fun people watching head to this spot on Saturday or Sunday anytime between noon and three, take in the soft but upbeat jazz and mixed scent of eggs and coffee and relax on a comfortable and deserted couch where no one will be likely to notice you.

3 comments:

  1. Hah I love this. I do like to watch the hungover students as well, they usually provide good entertainment. My friends and I usually try to guess on what exactly they did the night before, depending on if we can hear anything interesting. But they definitely are comforted by the breakfast at Commons, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of the better observing the overlooked posts I have read because it encompasses a lot of time variation and and the differences that you noticed. A young entrepreneur might be encouraged to open a coffee stand on the weekend to bring life back to the hungover masses in Starbucks absence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha this is funny because like Bethany said it's always funny to see students that are hungover. I wish my spot was this interesting but unfortunately it was nothing special. And I agree with Bud, a coffee stand would be very helpful to rejuvenate those hungover ones.

    ReplyDelete