Thursday, March 4, 2010

Wes Peterson
4 March 2010

Blog assignment #2: Observatory Rounds

Upon my second visit to my overlooked location, I found it quite devoid of activity. No cars overflowed the lot and no obnoxious construction was nearby to ruin the serenity of the rooftop. It was dark, and a sharp, frigid breeze was much more noticeable in the large exposed area. The air was dry, yet refreshing as the top level is three stories above the ground. The mounds of filthy snow and the awkward salt crystals that were once unavoidable were now nowhere to be found, consumed by the repetitive tires treading their way around the lot all day. The illuminated crest of the W.T. Young library was just visible over the high cement wall as well as the vibrant blue accents of the various bank buildings downtown.

The next occasion I decided to spend time atop my concrete fortress the weather was much more cheerful. A bright sun shone across the entire landscape, and few corners on the upper level of the parking garage could avoid its persistent rays. If you were to stand still, it would almost feel warm. Whether this was my imagination or not, I did my best to enjoy the sensation. The area was again automobile free though the consistent buzz of cars and the intermittent whirring of a motorcycle was audible from the street below.

My final excursion to the observatory was my most entertaining visit. During the same time period I chose to climb the three flights of weatherd stairs to the top floor and immerse myself in my surroundings, the observatory was actually open and operating. I hadn’t noticed all the people at first, the lot was still full of cars belonging to what I imagined were night class students and faculty. When I saw the telescope building, the door was open and there was a line of 20 people single-file along the wall, all of them waiting for their chance to gaze upon the heavens. They turned out to be astronomy students and they obliged my curiosity when I asked if I could take a look into the telescope with them. We got to look at a few distant objects, including the moon and the rings of Saturn. That wasn’t exactly what I went to do, but I had a good time and it was a new experience for me. I left in a cheerful mood, wondering when the next time was that I would visit the observatory that is so proudly perched atop the parking garage in the middle of campus.

No comments:

Post a Comment