Thursday, March 4, 2010

Observing the Overlooked Part 2: University of Kentucky Art Museum(s)


Since my first visit to the Art Museum I have returned three times. Unfortunately, each time it was closed. However, it wasn't absent of activity.

I snapped the photo above on my first visit. I didn't remember the owl mirror and I thought it was interesting. Also, it was the only thing I could photograph from behind glass doors. I laid down on the floor so I could take a picture of the owl at an angle so that it appeared to be in the "tree."

I'm splayed across the hallway. I steady my camera. As soon as I take the photo a figure appears in my lens. A woman was inside the closed art museum. As soon as I moved she noticed me. It seemed to startle her. She opened her mouth and closed it quickly like a fish out of water. Then she continued on her way up the stairs. Maybe she was the director of the museum setting up for a new showing or reviewing inventory. Or maybe she was a robber. Probably not.

The last two visits were pretty uneventful. One day I just sat and watch students pass by on their way to class. Using the alternate pathway to get out of the below freezing temperatures just as I did a month ago.

The second time I found a crowd of people around the corner. Their symphony of voices drew me into the hall, where I found them huddled in groups between to tables of hour devours. They had to have been professors and after I pushed my way through the people I found the topic of conversation. There was a private art showing in the next room. Perhaps it was a preliminary showing before the pieces were displayed in the museum. Perhaps it was a private showcase for a budding new artist. Maybe that was what the woman/robber was preparing for on Monday.

Seeing all of this reminded me of the behind the scenes action of the art world. Sure, we get to see all the pretty pictures and pieces lined up against a crisp white background. But first, there was an artist in his studio. Then the art moved to a showing. Then it was lucky enough to be donated or bought by the University of Kentucky for our artistic enlightenment. There's life in the museum even when it's closed and there is life behind the art, thought we may rarely see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment